Blog entry Freerice 5 Year Anniversary: Looking back
Today, five years ago, Freerice was launched by John Breen, a Harvard professor with a passion for fighting world hunger. He hoped it would grow, helping to feed and educate as many people as possible throughout the world. Since then, it's become an award-winning site and a powerful tool for raising funds and awareness about the fight against hunger.
A Few Freerice Fast Facts:
Almost 100 billion rice grains raised
Over 5 million people fed
Over 1.4 million registered Freericers
Over 1 million unique players on average every month
Over 50,000 questions published
Over 40,000 groups registered
Over 160 Youtube videos uploaded
Where has the rice gone?
Below are some of the ways the rice you raise is helping others!
- Cambodia: from June 2011 to present, over 4,000,000,000 grains of rice have been donated to Camodia. That's enough to feed over 220,000 people!
- Haiti: from January 2011 until May 2011, nearly 6 billion grains of rice was donated to help the people affected by the devastating earthquake. That's enough to feed nearly 300,000 people two meals for a day.
- Myanmar: Freerice supported people whose lives were affected by cyclone Nargis in 2008, and in the immediate aftermath to feed 750,000 cyclone-affected people for three days.
- Nepal: We fed 108,000 Bhutanese refugees for five days in 2008.
- Bangladesh: We fed 27,000 refugees from Myanmar sheltering at Cox’s Bazaar in Bangladesh for two weeks.
- Cambodia: We provided meals to 13,500 women for almost 2 months as part of WFP’s Mother and Child Health programme (monthly take-home rations for pregnant and nursing women) in 2008.
- Uganda: We provided meals to 66,000 schoolchildren for a week in 2008.
Thank you to all people who have take the time to raise much-needed rice! We could not do the work we do without you.
Freerice is maintained by and supports the United Nations World Food Programme, the world's largest humanitarian organization fighting hunger worldwide. To find out more go to WFP.org
This is an awesome site!! I love all your new additional subjects! Lots of variety now. It's an excellent way to challenge yourself and it's such a good cause. loving it
Happy aniversary! This site is lovely. It is truly a gift and such a great way to feed the hungry and learn. Thanks again for making this wonderful site for such a great cause.
Thank you for this wonderful site. I've learned so much, had fun, and felt good about feeding people. I tell everyone I know about this site.
I feel good when I donate rice to the hungry and it is also educational
I love this site, it maakes us feel like our Home Education is really changing the world :) thankyou so much for this great idea
very nice initiative!
Happy universary, you are doing a great job!!
I just joined, I love rice and i wanna share it <3
Please joint my group. It is called the rice core. I just created it, so the more members, the better
i like this!
I haven't played for a year! I plan to give 1k per day from now on! :3
ur welcurr!! (:
happy anniversary free rice
Time to feed some more kids in Cambodia! :)
Pour récupérer votre mot de passe, rendez-vous...
Si vous utilisez Internet Explorer 6, la mise...
Il y a plusieurs causes possibles à cela:...
Lorsque vous vous déconnectez, votre session...